Tuesday 26 February 2013

Non-dairy milks and simple dishes


I love how many alternatives there are to milk in stores. Rice milk, almond, coconut, hemp, soy, oat, but with all of those choices, it can be a little overwhelming as to which non-dairy milk to stick with. Not that you have to stick with one, but I like to keep things simple and low cost. Most people recommend trying all the different kinds to find which one you like best. I have tried a few, but I have to admit, I'm really not very choosy and my choice is often driven by price.


Silk True Almond milk for me. I use it in oatmeal, cereal and for baking. 


Rice Dream for him, he likes the sweeter and lighter taste compared to almond milk.



Now for some cereal. Shredded Wheat, with and without bran. Sugar and salt free! So good with fruit and non-dairy milk. It also makes for a nice oatmeal topping. I should check out this "free" red scarf business....



I made sprouts! Chickpea sprouts, in my kitchen. It was easy thanks to Emily's Sprouting 101 post at The Daily Garnish. I've been sprinkling them on salads and munching on them for a quick snack. 



I also made some Amaranth. I haven't had it in a very long time, I really love the crunchy little beads of grain with a slightly nutty taste. I had some for breakfast topped with cinnamon, almond milk and banana. 



A plain salad can be so satisfying. Just two ingredients, so pretty. My salads look like this often, leafy green and a fruit. I try to eat two salads a day, always before a meal. I say this because I find salads taste best when I'm fairly hungry and I don't feel like eating a salad after a meal, I crave more of the meal I just ate...



Like this meal! On Sunday evening I made Happy Herbivore's Broccoli Pesto Pasta from the Happy Herbivore Cookbook. It was delicious! The fresh basil was lovely with the grape tomatoes and the broccoli added a nice heartiness to the dish. I will definitely be making this recipe again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment